WWE has reportedly notified a few other AEW talents of a potential return to the company, including IWGP, AAA & ROH World Tag Team Champions FTR.
Earlier today, it was reported that WWE recently sent feelers to Malakai Black about a possible return after Chief Content Officer Triple H took over, and that Black wasn’t the only AEW contracted talent approached around the same time. In an update, a new report from Fightful Select notes that WWE officials also recently sent feelers to Cash Wheeler and Dax Harwood.
FTR previously spent several years in the WWE NXT and on the main roster, partnering with Triple H. WWE attempted to re-sign FTR under the regime led by former chairman and CEO Vince McMahon, but they chose to opt instead. AEW to go.
WWE also reportedly sent feelers to Swerve Strickland. Triple H recently brought Hit Row members “Top Dolla” AJ Francis, “B-Fab” Briana Brandy and Ashante “Thee” Adonis back to the company, and there was speculation that he probably also wanted Swerve back.
In addition, while the name of this wrestler has not been confirmed, a source in AEW claims that WWE contacted an AEW Original in August. The source said people would be surprised to learn who WWE has contacted. Several weeks ago, when AEW officials contacted WWE to warn them of contract manipulation, Chris Jericho took to Twitter to say that WWE was trying to get him back, but it is not yet known if he is the aforementioned unnamed wrestler.
Swerve is believed to have signed a multi-year deal, but that has not been confirmed. He reportedly signed a long-term contract in March. FTR also has some time left on their AEW contracts. They said in December that they didn’t have “a whole lot longer” of the contract, but then in April of this year it was reported that they had more than a year to go. Black was recently released on parole from AEW for needing time to resolve personal issues, but he still had several years left on a five-year contract, and it is believed that one of the terms of his release is that he is not. is able to wrestle for WWE while away from AEW. There had been talk that Black might be done with the company, but he responded to the rumors after a Prestige Wrestling indie event on September 17, promising he wouldn’t say goodbye. Black then released a lengthy Instagram statement about his status and future.
It’s not yet known if any of these wrestlers would be interested in returning to work for WWE, but opinions may have changed now that Triple H is in charge.
In previous years, WWE was against the idea of discussing just about anything with contracted talents.
Follow Marc on Twitter at @this_is_marc. Send us news, tips or corrections by clicking here.